Monday, January 27, 2014

Turns Out I Have Some Kid Stories After All

I'm single mom-ing it this week with two of my long-time charges here in Greenville. Their parents have escaped to a tropical island for an extended vacation, and left me in charge to keep them clean and happy.  I've stayed with them before, but this is definitely the longest stretch. So far, everything is going well (donuts make excellent bribes) but we're only three days in. A pessimist would say that there's still plenty of time for things to go south.

I feel a cold coming on, but I can't find any adult medicine in this house, so I've been sucking down "Immune-Booster Gummies" and children's motrin by the fistful.  I also found a stash of m&ms in the freezer; every little bit helps.  The cold, though, is not as bad as the schoolwork they bring home. My conclusion is that homework is way, way worse for the parents than for the kids.

Speaking of things that are horrible, my mom sent me this picture today:


She said: "I snapped this photo of it NOT snowing this morning! I had to get it quick though."  My poor northern friends and relatives are suffering through the modern day equivalent of The Long Winter, Laura Ingalls Wilder-style.  Meanwhile, news outlets in SC are feverishly reporting on the possibility of up to an inch -an INCH! - of snow tomorrow night, breathlessly instructing us to check their website for hourly updates.  My favorite was the report on the city's "frantic attempts to prepare for a major storm moving into the area." I can only assume that means they opted for overnight shipping on those extra snow-plows they ordered off of Amazon this afternoon.



No comments: