Thursday, April 16, 2009

Taxes, Tea Parties, and Family Life

The title of our radio show today was "Taxes, Tea Parties, and Family Life" and I laughed when I heard it, because it so aptly describes my life at the moment.

Taxes. Thanks to a very generous refund from the federal government (thanks guys!), I was able to pay off my car today, thus checking one goal off my list for 2009. I'm about the only debt-free 22-year-old I know, and yet I still can't get approved for a credit card to save my life. Hello, credit card companies of America- THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR SYSTEM. (Sidenote: why hasn't someone invented an 'all-caps' button yet? I want to just highlight a block of text, click a button, and BAM. All CAPS.)

Tea Parties. Yesterday was not a good day to live where I do- namely, directly across the street from Chief's restaurant. They held a 'tea party' protest in the afternoon, and I'm pretty sure every conservative in Greenville was there... so pretty much everyone in Greenville. It took me twenty minutes to drive the half-mile from the highway to my apartment. But then I got home and my mom had snagged me some wings from Chiefs, so my world was right-side up again, which brings me to...

Family (and friends) My parents and brother were here for Easter and we had a great time in Charleston, camping and eating more seafood than a blue whale in November. The parents are still here, and I am fully enjoying regressing into my lazy 16-year-old self. For instance, last night I put on freshly laundered pajamas, and climbed into my bed, which was not only MADE UP, but with clean sheets. Ah, bliss. Ryry is back in Chicago, relieved to be away from us and free to read 18 hours a day. Here is my favorite picture of us from the weekend- It's a classic Ryan/Karen shot, where I am all huggy and affectionate and he is all, well, not.

My oldest brother is leaving today for a several-month gig as a ranger on Mt. McKinley in Alaska, doing avalanche rescues and all kinds of fun, safe stuff like that. He'll follow that up by biking across western Canada with his girlfriend. Hmmm. I honestly can't decide which sounds less appealing. I am nothing like my brother.

And lastly, today is the birthday of my BFFUTSOLFOHBFA (five points if you can Name That Acronym) Sushi. When we met in fifth grade (at my best friend's birthday party) my first impression of Sushi was "Wait, she's not Japanese?" and then "Why is she wearing flannel?" Actually she's Indian (Sushi is short for something that I can't spell), which explains the first part, and she's also the most American person I know, which explains the second. I don't think she wears a lot of flannel these days, but she did introduce me to a whole host of important cultural things. Namely, the Disney Channel, Smirnoff Ice, and lentils. We logged a lot of hours in her room watching footage of NSYNC's television appearances and eating pop-tarts, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Mostly, though, I love her for being a loyal friend to me throughout the years, which has expressed itself in things like her forgiving me for calling her a slut in 7th-grade (I didn't know what it meant!) and patiently enduring my three-year crush on a boy we're all pretty sure is gay now (Sushi probably knew it at the time). So happy birthday Sushi- after a dozen years of putting up with me, you deserve a good one.

Ain't she cute?

7 comments:

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

haha oh Miss Miller, I miss you ever so.

P.S. What comment did you remove?

P.P.S. I love the miserable look of surprise on my father's face.

Oh, and this is all I can remember of the acronym and I'm not sure it's right:

Best Friends Forever Until The Sky O L Falls On Her Big Fat Ass.

WTF is OL??

Anonymous said...

is it 'of love' ? that doesn't make a lick of sense. but i can't think what else it would be.

Karen Renee said...

sky of love? No, you're right, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Which is why it's Statue of Liberty. Gosh I don't think I'll ever be able to forget that. I have tried.

I didn't delete the comment, my friend Matt (who wrote it) did. Don't worry, it was about credit cards, not you :)

JHitts said...

Your brother looks like Jim Gaffigan

Karen Renee said...

No he does not, Jack. He does not look like Jim Gaffifan. Nor does he look like a "very thin Michael Moore" as my friends seemed to think. He looks, if anything, like my dad. So shh.

JHitts said...

OK, you're right. He doesn't look like Jim Gaffigan.

He looks like Phillip Seymour Hoffman.