Monday, May 11, 2009

Baby brain

The past week or so, my world has been revolving around tiny blue things. Alycia's baby is due at the end of June and her little boy, John Paul Aeneas (is that a Hillsdale name or what?) will be my godson. I just cannot wait to meet him! To tide myself over until he gets here, I've been busy spending my life savings on clothes, toys, etc- I told Alycia that I hoped she didn't plan on buying anything for him because I've inadvertently outfitted him for his first year of life. Seriously, every time I go shopping for something ELSE, I end up walking away with more baby stuff- and I don't even know that it happens. I'm driving home and I realize "Wait, that is not a black cardigan in that bag; it is seven tiny onesies in a variety of masculine colors! I've been tricked!" It's like when you pull into your driveway and the last thing you remember is getting off the expressway, with no recollection of how you got there.

Anyway, Alycia's shower was this weekend and I had so much fun planning for it. Our friend Heather was so gracious as to host the little soiree at her place, since my apartment is roughly the size of a chest freezer and can seat exactly four people comfortably. We did everything up in blues and browns and tried to make things as classy as Alycia is. We passed the afternoon chatting with a bunch of wonderful women, playing a few little games and opening presents- I was at a party later, and one of the guys asked Sarah and me "what do you do at a baby shower, anyway?" and Sarah answered "pretty much you eat a lot of food and sit around oohing and ahing at all the cute baby things the mom gets." Pretty accurate. All in all, everyone had a great time and Alycia walked away with a carful of baby gear, so I put this one in the 'win' column.

We had a delicious menu: peanut butter and chocolate chunk brownies, sugar cookies, apple cake, beer bread, spinach and artichoke dip, sausage balls, a fruit basket and a vegetable platter, along with pink lemonade and coffee.

Here's the fruit bassinet that Heather made- she did a great job, and even trimmed it with blue and brown.


I made this bouquet of 'roses' out of baby socks. It came out way better than I expected, though it was still sad compared to the pictures I copied. It was one of the more annoying crafts I've attempted lately but it worth it.


The beautiful hydrangeas that Heather found and the favors I made that I FORGOT to give to the guests! We were cleaning up after everyone left and I realized they were all still sitting there on the table. I suppose if that's the worst thing that happened, I can deal.


The little blue and brown foot cookies- so yummy, though, as Sarah pointed out, it feels a little weird to be eating feet. But not weird enough to stop any of us, apparently.


Clothesline of onesies and bibs.


The burp cloth I made for John Paul. I embroidered his name and then ironed the ribbon on using adhesive. I loved making this and it looked really cute in the end.


The mommy-to-be and me underneath the banner I made (doesn't she look sickeningly good for being almost eight months pregnant? We were out at a bar last week and a total stranger came up to Alycia and said "I just have to tell you, you are the cutest pregnant woman I have ever seen!" It's disgusting).


I feel so blessed to be a part of John Paul's life, and that I get to be here for all the excitement. But for now, I am taking a serious break from crafting and looking forward to some good things- namely, Winnie's arrival tonight, and Cody's wedding this weekend. Pillow talk in a sketchy motel, here I come!

2 comments:

stacks mcgee said...

Karen I am so jealous that you get to be a godmommy. Wow wow wow what a blessing. =)

natalie said...

i can't believe that i have to miss this whole thing! wish i could have been there...