Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Consequences

One of my pet peeves is when you tell someone you're sick and they respond by saying "well don't get me sick. I just can NOT afford to get sick right now."

*blink*

First of all, thank you for your compassion. How about an "I'm so sorry! What is it, the flu?" or "You poor thing! Can I get you anything?" Even a "that sucks, dude" would be nice. But can we agree that it's just a wee bit selfish if your first spoken thought is about how another person's misery might affect you? I'm just saying.

Secondly, thank GOODNESS it was me that got sick and not you, because you just couldn't make the time for an illness. But me, I've been spending my days at work practicing the 180-degree Dr.-Evil-stroking-a-cat turn in my desk chair, so I've got time to spare. Bring on the virus.

Seriously, who can afford to check out of life for days on end? I've been sick for three days and I've had to cancel five commitments and stay home from work a day. It's not like I needed puking and sneezing to fill in the gaps in my day. However, during my vacation from reality, I have watched The Proposal, Ghost of Girlfriends Past, and caught up on all the TV I missed while I was in Hillsdale, which, ironically, is what got me sick in the first place. So I suppose not all is lost.

(Incidentally, my other big pet peeve is when people refer to their parents as 'mom' and 'dad' instead of 'my mom' and 'my dad'. Unless Bill and Cindy have been keeping something from me, they're your mom and your dad and it shouldn't be that difficult for you to make the distinction. But that's neither here nor there.)

So yes, I've been sick, but at least it isn't making me cranky. Clearly. And Hillsdale was well worth feeling like I've been hit by a freight train repeatedly. But the best part of all was that I was lying in the backseat of a car traveling somewhere in Southern Indiana when my roommates found a mouse in our pantry. That's what I call providential timing.

No comments: