Friday, October 30, 2009

I will be well

This afternoon I was looking for something on my desk when I uncovered a sticky note with CANADA written across the top, a Florida area code phone number, and the words "fried food" scrawled over and over again.

If that's not a cry for help, I don't know what is.

Yesterday was not a good day. As the day went on, I developed a sore throat and fever and by the time I left work, I was tired and stressed and sad and several other whiny adjectives. On the way home, I was trying not to feel sorry for myself, but instead trying to think of all the people out there who were suffering far worse than I was. But still there was that tiny, selfish part of me that was like "God, it would be really nice if there was something to cheer me up when I got home. Just like a good piece of mail or something". I tried to tell myself that it was better not to have that worldly comfort and to just suck it up and remember to be grateful for all I have.

Well. I pulled into my apartment complex, turned on to my street, and there I beheld half a dozen good-looking guys my age playing football right in front of my building. I have never seen these guys before. I have no idea who they are where they came from. I can't make this stuff up- seriously, I lack the imagination. And people say God doesn't answer prayers.

Anyway, I felt AWFUL last night. I felt so awful I couldn't even watch The Office. That's right, I could not muster the energy necessary to roll off my bed, crawl twenty feet into the living room, and collapse onto the couch. Instead I caught up on episodes of Greek online. Clearly another cry for help.

However, I've decided that I'm not going to be sick. I'm just not going to do it. No way am I giving those people at Urgent Care the satisfaction of showing up for the third week in a row. So I dragged myself out of bed this morning and took a shower sitting down. On my way to work, I had to get off the expressway and pull into the nearest parking lot where I threw up outside of my car.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to the people of the Roper Mountain Business Center, and hope that none of you were unfortunate enough to step in my regurgitated orange juice. Please know that it was not a comment on your establishment but simply an act of desperation.

So I will soldier on. I will continue to consume tylenol like a bag of skittles and I will nap and rest and enjoy my Halloween for all it's worth. And I'd like to apologize ahead of time to any parking lots who may take the brunt of my stubbornness in the upcoming days. I am so sorry.

No comments: