Friday, October 23, 2009

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE

For Alycia's birthday, I gave her a copy of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. NOT because she needs it- seriously, girlfriend already looked better than I ever have about nine seconds after giving birth. I know, because I was there. Rather, she had complained to me several times about wanting to find a good workout DVD and I told her about my love-hate relationship with Jillian. She mentioned borrowing it but I knew that if I loaned it to her I would never in a million years ask for it back ("No no! You keep it! No really!") so I just bought her one instead. I know, my dedication to physical exercise is inspiring.

So today I received an email from Alycia with the subject line 'f'. It read:

"i just finished the first workout on that DVD. F***. I think I'm going to puke."

(Clearly, being a mother has cleaned up her act, because a year ago, there would not have been asterisks in that sentence.)

I just appreciate the affirmation that it is not all in my head. Jillian, you are the devil and everyone knows it.

I've been running more than shredding lately (though I've managed to steer clear of participating in any high school sports), as the weather has been generally agreeable. Also, when I'm busy, it's easier to go running right after work than try to work in a shred at 11pm. Let's pause for a moment and think of the hundreds of millions of things I'd rather do than shred after a 14-hour day, including ripping all of my own fingernails out and titrating a solution. Oh my gosh I hated high school chemistry class.

Anyway I'm headed for a well-balanced weekend. Confirmation retreat tonight, a celebration of Fall tomorrow, and then the zoo on Sunday.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I miss you crazy Karen:) I'd buy you a latte to celebrate Fall if you were here!